02 December 2007

20 + 1

No, it's not my birthday, but yes, that would be my age if it were. 20 + 1 signifies the extra day in Boston given to me by Delta Airlines via an "Act of God." Otherwise known as a snowfall in New York city.

It's sad that a snowfall is only considered a godly event when it disrupts air travel. I'd rather attribute the spirtual connection to the wonderous beauty and power of nature. Not as a means for an airline to squeeze you for some extra cash. They don't cover "Acts of God" - how could they possibly intervene on divine will? - only engine trouble.

In spite of this desecration of the divine, miracles still abound: a few extra hours with friends, a chance to relish a final moment in my old apartment, time for pause and a Monday morning to FedEx a bizillion boxes of stuff to Canada. Maybe it was an "Act of God" afterall.

1 comment:

Karen said...

That is kinda strange isn't it, about the whole 'Act of God' thing. I noticed that about insurance companies too - tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes; all stuff that causes damage and destruction that they don't want to have to pay for.

So now that you're leaving Boston for good, what's next? I remember you saying that you're traveling for the next little bit, but I didn't hear where you're doing residency. In any case, hope everything is going well with you!!