11 January 2008

Smokin' Atikokan

Day 6 in smokin Atikokan and the fun has not let up (nor has the snow.) Where is Atikokan you ask? North of Quetico and a bit west of the Arctic watershed.


Yes, that's the Arctic watershed. So now you have all the coordinates let's run through my week, day by day.

Day 1: Drive to the big smoke. Picture of the Arctic watershed on my brand new digital camera.

Day 2: Tour of the town by the town economic development officer. Highlight of the tour: we got stuck in a snow bank at these remote x-country ski trails and spent the better part of my lifetime trying to push us out / learn to drive standard because I'm not massive enough to push out a car with a 250 lb man in the driver seat. We were finally rescued by a random skidoer who thought the economic development guy had taken me out to this deserted area of the town for hanky panky. NO JOKE!!! That pretty much sums up my first day.

Day 3: Unremarkable.

Day 4: Went curling with the laydeez. The lady from the economic development centre, whom I met after the snowbank incident, said that I should show up at the club on Tuesday or Wednesday night in case a team needs a spare. And I did, I they did! I played a full game, well part 3/4's of a game because we folded because we were losing so badly. But I scored a point! and bonded with the locals. Still can't lift the rock but I sure do know my way around the sheet. All I have to say is curling is a lot harder than it looks.

Day 5: Random muscle ache in my right armpit and left thigh. (Obviously a slow day if that is all I have to report)

Day 6:
On call and psyching myself up for race day tomorrow. . .

1 comment:

Eh-choo mui mui. said...

hilarious post!

actually, the last time i went curling, my abs were KILLING me from the hard-core sweeping i was doing.