18 March 2008

Sundarbans: The Human Side

Although Sundarbans is a National Park and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is far from an untouched wilderness. The forest supports millions of people with the main industries being fishing, forestry and honey production. The life of the park and the livelihood of the people who depend on it are being jeopardised by hydroelectric dams upstream of Bangladesh in India and China and by overuse of resources by the very people who depend on the park. As with everything in this country, it is a fine balance on a loaded scale.

Canoe ferries across the river. Dozens went by in a matter of minutes carrying everything from produce to people to livestock.

Hauling a load of bricks downstream.

Returning to the mother ship after a day hiking in the mangrove.

On the prowl for tigers . . .

Fisherman's house and traditional boat.

Fisherman setting off in the dense early morning fog.

Shrimp fisherman and saris drying on rooftops.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I loved hearing from you this morning. It was a nice way to start my day. Thanks for the bday greetings. I don't think you understood me when I said, I love the pictures that you put up from bangladesh. They are amazing. I can't wait to see you and maybe I'll win the lottery soon so I can come and visit.