04 February 2007

Aunty Afooa

An astute friend and fellow blogger in a flight of fancy noted that the whole world seems to be having babies right now. My friends have been averaging around one newbie per month since October. February and March are poised to be especially prolific. Based on this data, I would conclude that she has to be right.

On 30 January, my family decided to join on the baby bandwagon (which likely takes the form of a stroller.) That's right, I'm an aunty. Aunty Afooa. I'm already in love with Tuesday's child and poised to shower her with hugs, kisses and goodness.

There is one hitch that accompanies the otherwise joyous welcome of the little dears. Along with babies come the baby showers. How does the old poem go . . .

First comes love (well lust at the very least)
Then comes marriage (well sometimes the baby comes first)
Then comes the voracious consumerist baby in a designer carriage

Here's my solution. I own a lot of pink and blue as well as non-gendered yellow and green. I've been seriously tempted to toss my unwanted items into the clothes drier on high heat and reincarnate them as the latest baby fashions. The little ones won't know the difference and besides kids have very sophisticated tastes these days. Just a thought.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! Congratulations to your brother on the birth of his daughter!

But I totally know what you mean about the whole consumerism thing. None of my friends have done it, but I've heard of people who make registries for their baby showers. Isn't that crazy? And the whole baby Gap business just boggles my mind. The kid's gonna grow out of it in a matter of weeks!

I think you've got the right idea with the dryer thing. Recycling's supposed to be good for the environment anyway, right? :D

Eh-choo mui mui. said...

which brother is it? is it howard?

auntie afuas! ho ho ho

Nahawna Afooa said...

yes, howard. crazy eh! i'll be such a bad influence, sugaring up the kidz and sending em home to bounce off the walls. i can't wait!