09 March 2007

Three days in the blazing sun

My mum has returned to Ghana for the first time since we left in the early 80’s. The country has changed significantly as she so frequently points out. She also has changed significantly as I so frequently point out. There are temper tantrums when there is no running water (longest stretch 4 days, she has only experienced a one day water outage) and when there is no power (every second day). For god’s sake this is Africa! I’m excusing it as jet lag and heat. She has settled down quite a bit and we actually had a nice day today shopping and going to the beach.

We went to visit our old house in Burma Camp, a military base with an affliated hospital where my father used to work. This was the first time that she had been back to the house. The orange tree was still standing in the side garden and the back garden was lined with our mango tree, banana trees and plantain trees. Her old chicken coop was also there too. Even still, the house was much changed and the neighbourhood too. My mum showed me my friend’s house and our escape route during the coup. So many memories. . .

No comments: