15 May 2007

Sleeping Giants, Rowdy Dwarves

Okay, so possibly my favourite radio station, CBC Radio 1, is having one of their regular summer competitions. This one is fabulous: selecting the seven wonders of Canada. http://www.cbc.ca/sevenwonders/

Top on my list is the Sleeping Giant, a peninsula that looks like a man lying down in Thunder Bay on Lake Superior. My bias is obvious but it has a good story too. Ojibwe legend has it that Nana Bijou (of no relation to me) lay down in Thunder Bay (the bay on Lake Superior after which the city was named) to protect the silver mines from being cleaned out by the Europeans (in its prime, Silver Islet, was the leading producer of silver.)


Here are my picks for the remaining six wonders, in no particular order:
The Bay of Fundy
The Igloo
Inukshuks
Haida Gwali, Queen Charlotte Islands
Old Quebec City
Singing Sands Beach, PEI

1 comment:

Eh-choo mui mui. said...

i voted for the sleeping homey!